Friday, September 5, 2008

The Job Search

So, I thought I would write a little update about my job search. It has been going slowly, but there are some promising leads. I am waiting to hear back about whether or not I will be asked for a second interview at a private school, and I am really hoping for that phone call. I would love to work at a school again...it is such a great mix for me of relationships, counseling, and being creative all within a very structured format at a place where I can invest. I'm crossing my fingers.

Today I interviewed at a different private Christian school for a substitute teaching position. They were so encouraging and were impressed with the "assortment" of things on my resume. It was nice to hear the words, "you have so many skills!" So after they basically said I could sub there once I get a background check, they started trying to figure out how they could get me a job...the school counselor gave me a ton of contacts and even walked me up to the third floor to talk to the youth ministry administrator about opportunities she might know about. Then, I met with the Composer In Residence/Organist at the adjacent church about piano teaching opportunities there. He seemed really interested, and was open to the idea of having me teach in their facilities for no charge, which is amazing. What is good about this church/school is that it is right downtown, and passionate about reaching the city.

I don't know if any of these things will work out, but at least I was encouraged. And barring any unknown criminal charges that come up on my background check, I will be on the sub list! One first for me in the interview was being asked how I felt about teaching P.E....let's just hope there aren't any team sports involved!

3 comments:

Biz said...

hahaha! I love the PE question. :)

Okay, so that is AWESOME how the interview turned into one long networking session! Very cool.

Something's happening... its good. :)
LOVE YOU!

kit and her caboodle said...

Hi, Gretchen!
I'm so glad all this is happening for you! Very exciting.
Thanks for commenting on my blog! Yes, I made all the cakes. I really enjoy decorating cakes...it's kind of something I do for birthdays.
Love and miss you!

Jill said...

You could always teach the kiddos dance during the P.E. class :)